Taco Tuesdays aren’t just for Tuesdays. And tofu isn’t just for stir fry. When I made this sofrito sauce to pair with tofu for tacos, I had no idea I would create a new craving.
I based this sofrito recipe on my chicken mole skewers. It is so good! Something I need to make quite often. Hmm, maybe again today.
This spicy adobo sauce know as sofritos, is a rich and moderately spicy, yet flavorful sauce that can be paired with any protein base. It’s base of chiles and tomatoes makes it a perfect accompaniment to any meal.
For this recipe, I paired it with diced and cooked tofu for a delicious taco filling. Then I topped it with Citrus Cilantro Coleslaw and Grilled Corn Guacamole.
Let me tell you, I first made this into 4 servings of two tacos each, but it was good, that I portioned it out into three tacos per serving, even without the optional black beans. These are so addicting.
Just look at all that saucy goodness!
I think I could eat this whole bowl.
I mean, that spoon isn’t in this bowl for fun. It’s in there for EATING these sofritos!!!!
Excuse me while I control myself…
Oh, and hey, if you happen to get your hands on Gourmet Garden’s fresh tubes of garlic or fresh dried cilantro, try it in this recipe!! There may or not be a giveaway attached to this post 😉 wink, wink
Tofu Sofritos (Tofu in Spicy Adobo Sauce)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Number of servings: 4
Per Serving 295 calories
Fat 25 g
Carbs 8 g
Protein 14 g
- 12 oz organic extra firm tofu
- 2 Tb canola oil, for frying
- 1/4 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tb canola oil, divided
- 1 green California or Hatch chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and stemmed
- 2 adobo chiles, stems removed
- 3 Tb jarred or canned adobo sauce
- 3/4 cup fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- juice of half a lime
- Drain the tofu by placing on a few paper towels and letting liquid drain for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare the sofrito sauce. In a large medium skillet, saute the diced onion and minced garlic with all the spices and seasonings in 1 Tb of the canola oil, until onion is translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roast the green chile over an open flame or under a broiler, then place in plastic bag when skin is charred for a couple minutes to loosen the skin. Scrape the charred skin off with a paper towel.
- Process the adobo chiles, adobo sauce, and roasted green chile in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add the onion mixture and tomatoes and process until smooth. With processor or blender running, add water 1 Tb at a time until desired consistency. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tb oil in a large skillet. Dice the tofu into 1/4" pieces and fry in oil until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes, stirring to cook.
- Drain on a paper towel once more.
- Heat remaining 2 Tb oil in the same skillet. Add the sofrito sauce and heat through about 3 minutes. Add cooked tofu (or other cooked meat) to sofrito sauce to braise about 10 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lime over tofu sofritos. Serve over rice or tortillas.