Last week I took two of my littles to the store to get some grocery shopping done. I took my little baby girl and my finicky shark. My finicky shark loves to help me shop for food and will even help with my lists and picking out what I need.
As we were passing through the baking aisle, he spotted a packaged graham cracker crust with a picture of a delicious key lime pie on the front. He told me how much he really wanted a key lime pie.
I told him I was pretty sure I could make one for him.
I can’t recall if I read a recipe with this version once before by browsing the many variations I’ve seen around the internet, or pulled it out of my cookbook engraved brain, but I grabbed a few packaged ingredients I thought would work and I took them home. A box of lime jello. A big can of sweetened condensed milk, a regular tub of whipped topping, and of course, the pie crust. I mean really, this was just under $7 for the whole thing. You can’t beat that for simplicity.
This-made-the-best-key-lime-pie-ever. At least, for the amount of effort it took anyway.
This is the lightest, creamiest pie with the right amount of “lime” and the perfect sweetness. I used a reduced sugar condensed milk for this recipe, but I think any type will do.
If you are looking for a last minute pie to bring the family for Thanksgiving this week, this could be your answer. Or any family gathering. Or heck, just make it and eat it in the closet when your kids aren’t looking. I promise I won’t tell.
I myself planned to bring this pie to two separate functions. Would you believe Target does NOT carry lime jello???? I looked at all the barcode skews and nada! So I will be bringing Lemon Chiffon pies to the family. I picked up some lemon jello. Same diff right?
I hope you enjoy this pie as much as my family did.
Easy Four Ingredient Key Lime Pie
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 5 minutes
Number of servings: 10
An easy 5 minute key lime pie that is ready to serve after 4 hours of chill time. This versatile pie can be made as a Lemon Chiffon or even Strawberry or Raspberry Cream pie by swapping jello flavors.
- 1 - 3 oz box lime jello
- 1 cup WATER
- 1 - 14.1 oz can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)**
- 1 - 8 oz container whipped topping, thawed
- 1 - 10" graham cracker pie crust***
- 1 lime, sliced (optional for garnish)
- whipped cream (optional for garnish)
- Bring some water to boiling in a kettle. In a large bowl, whisk together the box of lime jello and 1/2 cup BOILING water. Stir until dissolved. Add 1/2 cup COLD water and stir well. Slowly stir in the sweetened condensed milk until thoroughly mixed. Gently fold in the whipped topping. Pour into graham cracker pie crust. Refrigerate at least 4 hours until firm. Garnish with lime wedges and whipped cream, if desired.