I’ve been wanting to cross shrimp and grits off my cooking list. Little did I know I would be making Indian Curried Shrimp and Grits.
I was only using the brand new bottle of organic turmeric that was calling my name. A savory bed of spinach and shrimp all nestled into a bowl of flavorful grits sounded so good!
I really had no intention of writing this recipe, as I was just making myself dinner and lunch for the next day.
Let me just say, it was so delicious, I knew I would have no leftovers for lunch as I would have to share with my honey when he came from work. My kids had already enjoyed leftover spaghetti. My baby girl did eat some of my grits and of course, even she loved them. (She really does have good taste!)
What I love about this dish is…everything!
I love how the savory grits complement the smoky curry flavors of the sweet shrimp and onions and slight bitterness of the spinach. The love how the steam created when covering the spinach, and mixed with the olive oil and curry spices, creates a rich broth that runs gracefully over the corn grits.
I love that each bite was as delicious as the first. And I love the light tang of Greek yogurt on top.
I’m sad that it’s gone. But I am happy that I wrote it down so I can make it again!
Cheers to a healthy gluten free dinner bursting with omega rich olive oil and lean protein!
And now-I eat…
Please, tell me what you think!
Indian Curried Shrimp and Spinach Over Grits
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Number of servings: 2
Per Serving 256 calories
Fat 17 g
Carbs 17 g
Protein 12 g
Recipe may be doubled to serve 4. Recipe has been tested for 2 servings.
- 2/3 cup quick cooking grits
- 3 cups water plus 3 tsp chicken bouillon
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1/4 large onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2-1 tsp salt to taste
- 6 oz frozen cooked jumbo shrimp, thawed and chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 4 Tb nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- In a medium saucepan, heat the water and chicken bouillon over high heat to boiling. When the broth is boiling, slowly whisk in the dry grits. Reduce heat to medium low and continue whisking until grits begin to thicken. Reduce heat to low and cook a few minutes more, until desired consistency. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes, cooking and stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic and cook 2 minutes more until fragrant. Add the spices.
- Stir in the chopped shrimp. Cook and stir about 3 minutes until heated through. Season to taste with salt.
- Top with baby spinach. Remove from heat and cover until spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes. Remove lid and stir to combine. Serve ladled over grits. Top with Greek yogurt, if desired.