I must have a dang sweet tooth lately!!! I have shared recipe after recipe of desserts!
You’re not complaining though right?
It’s another month to fill my cookie jar for our monthly Fill the Cookie Jar cookie exchange club. Cynthia at Feeding Big is always so happy to help us get our recipes linked up.
I didn’t quite make last month’s posting at the beginning of the month, but I did finally make the Gobble Gobble Cookies I had planned to.
This month I made a nightcap cookie for Santa Claus.
I love the splash of pink the maraschino cherry juice adds to the cookies. These cookies remind me of Santa’s red suit. Bright jewels of cherry red for his suit and red cheeks, dark chocolate for his boots and buckle and then topped with plenty of snow!
And the nightcap…well, don’t tell my kids, but I soaked the cherries in a splash of amaretto. And there may or may not be some more in the cookies. Shhhh.
If that makes you squirm, just put some extra almond extract, I won’t tell anyone.
If you love cherry and amaretto, dark chocolate and sweet sugar cookies, you will love this cookie. It’s what happens when I go crazy in the kitchen. 😉
I’m calling these after St. Nick, instead of Santa Claus or Kris Kringle, because of course, once I snapped this adorable photo of my very own Nicolas, I had to name them after him! (I think he ate six of these! I had four and then I did an extra session of PiYo®! #fatty :P)
These were really simple to put together, see!
St. Nick’s Nightcap Cookies - Cherry Amaretto Chocolate Chip Cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Number of servings: 48
Cherry Amaretto Chocolate Chip Cookies that will make St. Nick laugh with glee!
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 Tb maraschino cherry juice
- 1 Tb amaretto *
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 Tb powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the softened butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, amaretto, almond extract, and maraschino cherry juice. Mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop, spoon onto an ungreased baking sheet. Top each cookie with a few chopped cherry pieces.
- Bake for 8-10 until just barely done. Remove from oven to cool on baking sheet briefly before transferring to a baking rack to cool. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.