Breakfast!!! Something my finicky shark 9 year old says on a regular basis. Only he shouts “Bek-fast!” No idea why. He’s quirky like that.
But breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Savory or sweet I love it all. I must admit that breakfast was not the first meal I thought of when entering the 2016 Blogger Recipe Challenge for Healthy Solutions Spice Blends™. I actually made some really tasty cheesy meatloaf balls for my 11 year old. He loved them. So much they disappeared. I’m sure I’ll make a larger meatloaf version and share it with you later. But in keeping with all things healthy…
…for now let’s focus on these Sweet Chicken Sausage Breakfast Biscuits. Drool 😋
The seasoning blend I used to create an original Famished Fish recipe, with the help of Healthy Solutions Spice Blends™, was their Encrusted Haddock blend. This seasoning has dehydrated onion and garlic, a mix of spices of what I think is oregano and maybe tarragon, cranberry and black pepper. Nothing artificial and no MSGs. Delicious stuff here. Delicious stuff.
I started with fluffy buttermilk style biscuits with the special herb blend and softened dried cranberries. The soft biscuits are paired with lean homemade chicken sausage patties with a touch of sweet brown sugar and savory seasoning. Topped with a gently fried egg, spring greens and tangy feta cheese, this breakfast sandwich is pleasing to the tastebuds, simple to make and perfect for a weekend brunch.
I love that I was able to put this entire meal together in under 30 minutes-aside from the rest time of the dough of course, yet no one would be the wiser. They would think you slaved in the kitchen all morning.
Thank you Healthy Solutions Spice Blends™ for the truly unique seasoning that I built this Low Salt/Low Sugar breakfast around. I hope you get to make this in your kitchen soon. Always “Blending Healthy with Great Taste”.
Be sure to visit my YouTube channel and check out the recipe prep below.
Sweet Chicken Sausage Breakfast Biscuits
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Number of servings: 8
- 2 and 1/3 cups flour, divided
- 2 Tb baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Healthy Solutions Encrusted Haddock Seasoning Blend
- 5 Tb shortening
- 1 Tb honey
- 2 Tb buttermilk powder
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries soaked in 3 Tb hot water
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1 Tb Healthy Solutions Encrusted Haddock Seasoning Blend
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tb brown sugar
- 8 Eggs
- 2 cups baby spring greens
- 4 Tb crumbled feta cheese
For the Herbed Cranberry Buttermilk Biscuits
For the Sweet Chicken Sausage Patties
For the Sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, whish together 2 cups flour, buttermilk powder, baking powder, salt and spice blend. Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles large peas. Add the honey and milk and mix just until combined. Cover with a paper towel and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the ground chicken and remaining ingredients and mix well. Form mixture into 8 patties about 1/2 inch thick. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle to 350F. Spray with nonstick cook spray. Brown chicken patties for 4 minutes on one side. Flip and brown 4 minutes more. Cover with foil to steam and cook through another 3-5 minutes until no longer pink. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, dust a cutting board with 1/3 cup flour. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Add soaked and DRAINED cranberries. Gently fold cranberries into dough. Knead about 8 times, turning one quarter turn and folding over each time, pressing with heels of hands, until smooth.
- Roll dough out to a rectangle about 3/4 inch thick. Cut with 3 1/4 inch biscuit rounds into 8-9 biscuits. Reroll as needed. Transfer biscuits to a baking sheet. Bake at 425F for 10-14 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven to cool.
- Wipe grill clean. Spray with nonstick cook spray. Crack 8 eggs on griddle. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook 3 minutes on one side. Flip over carefully and cook until desired doneness.
- To serve, split open biscuit, top with 1/4 cup baby greens, one sausage patty, one egg and 1/2 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese. Top with other biscuit half and serve.
This post was sponsored by Healthy Solutions Spice Blends™. I received free product from the sponsor for participating in their 2016 Blogger Recipe Challenge. No additional compensation was received by me. All opinions, text, images, and recipe are my own. Feel free to substitute the branded ingredients as needed with a like for like product.