If I could think of one style of food that never fails to deliver freshness, I would have to say Asian food. I’ve been eating a 95% ovo-lacto-vegetarian diet, which means burgers are out of the question on weekly date nights. I tend to lean towards fresh stir fried vegetables, savory plates of Thai noodles and steaming bowls of egg-topped ramen.
JSL Foods, Inc.® does not fail to deliver when it comes to freshness. I was invited to participate in JSL Foods, Inc.’s Blogger Recipe Challenge by developing a new recipe with their precooked noodle products. Before this challenge I had never tried their noodles before. I had no idea what I had been missing! These noodles are tender and made with simple ingredients, fortified with ALA Omega 3 and contain absolutely no MSG’s.
The noodles I chose to use for this challenge were the Udon Mushroom Flavor noodles by Fortune® from JSL Foods, Inc.®. So delicious. They are easily microwaveable or can be placed in a pot of boiling water, with the provided packet of seasoning. These noodles can be served in a soup, stir fried with vegetables, or simply served as a cold noodle salad.
I decided to serve my noodles as a cold salad. I simple soaked two packages in a bowl of hot water and one packet of seasoning mix while I prepared the rest of the salad ingredients. Each bag of fresh packed noodles provides two healthy servings.
My challenge for this recipe was to come up with a type of Asian infusion. We’ve seen these in restaurants, with Mexican and Asian infusion meals and even Indian and Thai (one of my favorites!).
I opted to blend the flavors of Italy with simple Thai flavors, as those are both my favorites! I left the meat out of this one, like most of my recent dishes. This Asian Infusion Strawberry Feta Cold Noodle Salad begins with thick and flavorful udon noodles that have been soaked with their own mushroom flavor. The noodles are then tossed with an olive oil and black sesame seed drizzle, that has also been infused with the Fortune® mushroom flavor.
Bright red strawberries, spicy red onions and a chiffonade of bold basil, along with chunks of salty feta cheese are paired with the thick noodles. All of this is then drizzled with a sweet and zangy strawberry balsamic glaze that is laced with Asian flavors like soy sauce, mirin and lemon grass. I was literally dipping strawberries in this glaze when it was finished!
And the kicker is, this recipe takes only about 30 minutes to prepare from start to finish. You will be satisfying your taste buds in no time.
It is definitely hard not to load up on the balsamic glaze, but a little goes a long way with flavor.
I hope you take the time to look for JSL Foods, Inc.® products in your local market. You can find them at Albertsons, Bashas, Bel Air, Food 4 Less, Food Maxx, Lucky’s, Jewel, Nob Hill Foods, Raley’s, Randalls, Safeway, Savemart, Shaws, , Stater Bros, Star Market, Target and Winco. I am definitely buying more of these!
Asian Infusion Strawberry Feta Cold Noodle Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 6
- 2 - 7.25 oz packages mushroom flavor Fortune fresh cooked udon noodles, including seasoning
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2/3 cup reduced fat crumble feta cheese
- 1/3 cup red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup fresh Thai basil or basil, chiffonade
- 2 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tb black sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, sliced and pureed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tb honey
- 1Tb mirin
- 1/2 Tb low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp lemon grass puree from a tube or finely minced lemon grass
For the Noodles
For the Glaze
- Bring a pot of water to boiling. In a large bowl, add the refrigerated noodles and ONE packet of mushroom seasoning. Pour boiling water over the noodles to cover and stir gently. Stir occasionally to loosen the noodles and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, vinegars and strawberry puree. Whisk to combine with a wire whisk. Add remaining glaze ingredients. Bring to a low boil, whisking constantly. Reduce to a low simmer, whisking occasionally, until reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
- When the glaze is reduced to half cup, remove from heat. Drain the noodles in a colander and rinse with cold water. Return to bowl. Combine olive oil, remaining ONE mushroom seasoning packet and black sesame seeds in a small bowl. Pour over cold noodles and toss. Add sliced onions and strawberries, basil chiffonade and crumbled feta. Toss well.
- Serve with balsamic glaze on the side for drizzling.
*This post was sponsored by JSL Foods, Inc.®. I received free product from the sponsor for participating in their Blogger Recipe Challenge. No additional compensation was received by me. All opinions, text, images, and recipe are my own. Feel free to substitute the branded ingredients as needed with a like for like product.