Black Garlic and Sun Dried Tomato Phyllo Bites
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Number of servings: 32
Rich butter and sautéed elephant garlic cling to sheets of crispy phyllo pastry that is subtly filled with smears of smooth black garlic and cream cheese, chopped sun dried tomatoes and flecks of sweet basil. All of this is sprinkled with savory feta cheese crumbles and a dash of parsley.
- 8 oz phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 12 Tb salted butter
- 1 clove elephant garlic (or 3 cloves regular garlic)
- 1 bulb black garlic
- 12 Tb cream cheese softened
- 6 Tb chopped sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 Tb lightly dried basil
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Prepare two 8x12 or 9x13 baking sheets by greasing with a smear of butter.
- Peel and press the elephant garlic with a garlic press and set aside. Peel the black garlic and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt all of the butter and the minced elephant garlic. Heat over medium low heat for about 3 minutes, until the butter is melted and the garlic is softened. Do not brown. Set aside.
- On a flat surface, unroll the phyllo pastry. Use a dampened paper towel to lay over the remaining pastry while working with each sheet.
- On each baking sheet, carefully lay out one sheet of pastry. If it breaks, just piece it back together. Using a pastry brush, brush on garlic butter, letting any pieces of garlic remain on pastry. Repeat with 3 sheets of pastry per baking sheet.
- On the third pastry layer and after the butter is brushed on, very carefully smear 2-3 black garlic cloves and 2 Tb cream cheese on each of the two layers, using the back of knife. Be careful not to pull the dough or break.
- Sprinkle each sheet with 1 Tb chopped sun dried tomatoes and 1 tsp lightly dried basil.
- Repeat the layers of three, then another layer of filling two more times, ending with 2-3 sheets of pastry on the top layer, depending how many sheets are in your box. You should have 3 filling layers with 3 sheets between each layer.
- Seal the final top layer with plenty of butter to keep edges down.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the pastries with the feta cheese and parsley, divided between the two.
- Cool slightly and cut into 16 triangles each, making a total of 32, using a pastry or pizza cutter. Serve immediately.