Oh my gosh, is it almost fall??? And where the heck did summer go? I spent most of my summer broken. Literally. I broke my little baby toe on a baby gate the morning of my oldest son’s 6th grade graduation!!! I literally hobbled around on crutches with my toe buddy-taped until the ceremony was over so I could get to the doctors.
And then, wouldn’t you know, they just buddy taped it again. Of course, after they “set” the bone. Did you know they could do that for a toe?! Then after a week of it feeling a bit better, I finally get to see the podiatrist, only to hear I had to have surgery on it because it was that bad!
So ten days after this little toe stub, which led to a darn LETTER L toe, which led to a reset toe and then surgery, I had a pin sticking out of my toe. It was broken AND fractured in 3 places.
I’m all better now. But my toe is a bit crooked. And it swells randomly. And then I remind myself that at least I have a toe. So I basically went from the end of the school year to the beginning of the school year, with no fun to be had all summer.
I’ve been missing my kitchen and baking, and I may have lost some of my creative mojo. Hey, I said some. These Peanut Butter Banana Honey Granola Blondies had my kids returning to the kitchen over and over and over and over and …well you get the picture.
And the icing on top (literally the icing on top-badumcha!) tastes like a peanut butter cup. So much so, that my oldest decided to have more bars after school with a side of actual peanut butter cups. Boy, I hope he runs that off tomorrow during gym class.
I had one of these after they came out of the oven and they were so tender and moist. I especially love how the icing sets up on the top. I decided on these bars because I really just wanted to make something with brown sugar and brown butter. And then I had ripe bananas. And I love peanut butter. And I have lots of granola from last year’s winning of Golden Girl Granola. (I’m in the top 8 again this year!) And of course fall brings school lunches, which brings PB sandwiches and granola bars. So yea, that’s what I came up with.
But today my son let me have a nibble of them straight from the fridge. Oh-my-word! The banana flavor was insane! After a night of sitting in the refrigerator, that banana really took center stage. So delicious!!! I could eat these warm or cold, but either way I gobble it up, I’ll take it with a cold glass of milk.
And now, my contribution to this month’s Fill the Cookie Jar, led by the lovely Cynthia. Check below for more fall cookie and bar recipes from other bloggers too!
Peanut Butter Banana Honey Granola Blondies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Number of servings: 16
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick)
- 2 Tb creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tb honey
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 large over ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup honey granola
- 2 Tb creamy peanut butter
- 3 Tb milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For the Blondies
For the Peanut Butter Icing
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 8"×8″ baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter with the peanut butter and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Stir in the honey and continue to stir until golden brown, about 5 minutes, over medium low heat.
- Add the brown sugar to a large bowl and stir in the butter mixture. Mix well. Add the bananas and mash well with a fork to incorporate. (A few chunks are okay.) Stir in the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour and granola and stir until combined. Pour the batter into the foil lined pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until set and golden just around the edges. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- In a small bowl melt 2 Tb peanut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir in 3 Tb milk. Whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth. Spread onto slightly cooled bars. Cool completely before cutting into 16 bars. Note-lift foil out of pan to cut easily.