I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole. Apparently it’s not just for Alice you know. It’s for crazy busy moms with not enough time on their hands, over 40 hours of work a week, more doctor appointments than one can handle, and school functions that I didn’t even know existed.
I’ve still been cooking. Er, well, I guess if bean tostadas and pasta and tomato sauce count. When I’m busy, my creative cooking sides goes into hiding. I literally cannot find her. I will be thoroughly pouring myself into my newest cookbooks to rectify that.
We’ve also been eating a vegetarian lifestyle. So thinking of things to make has been a challenge.
I still make meatballs for a couple of the kids, but my finicky shark usually doesn’t eat meat, so I have to separate EVERYTHING. Funny thing, I gave it up for him-the meat stuff. Then I discovered my body was happier without meat. I still have it occasionally. Maybe twice a month. My husband apparently decided to follow suit and has given up red meat and eat less of everything else too. We feel good. We still love our dairy and eggs though!
This recipe was one I made before I gave up meat, surprisingly. I just love pasta and spinach. So yea, that’s where this comes in. And it’s super easy to get on the table in around 30 minutes.
Spinach Pesto and Zucchini Rolled Lasagna
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 8
Per Serving 232 calories
Fat 11 g
Carbs 25 g
Protein 9 g
- 8 dry lasagna noodles
- one large zucchini sliced lengthwise into eight pieces
- 8 loosely packed cups baby spinach
- 1 oz fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tb basil purée from tube
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 oz spaghetti sauce
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Bring a large pot of water to boiling. Add [1 tsp salt] and 8 uncooked lasagna noodles. Add sliced zucchini.
- In a food processor, combine the spinach, garlic, basil, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Process until smooth. Stream in the olive oil with the processor running, until the mixture is emulsified.
- In a 2 quart casserole dish, spread 4 oz of spaghetti sauce.
- Drain the lasagna noodles and zucchini and place on damp paper towels.
- Spread a tablespoon of pesto down the center of each lasagna noodle. Top with a slice of zucchini. Roll up and place seam side down over pasta sauce in casserole. Repeat with remaining noodles and zucchini. Top with remaining pasta sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes, until heated through and bubbly.