When I was a young girl, my parents bought me an Easy Bake Oven for my birthday. I remember mixing a teeny bowl of cake mix and carefully pouring it in a miniature cake pan, putting the pan on a little metal tray and inserting it into the tiny oven that was basically a very hot light bulb in a metal box. I made my little brother his very own First Birthday cake with that cool toy, which he joyfully smeared all over his face.
My oldest son loves to cook with me and he’s been creating new recipes on his own. He’s always wanted his own Easy Bake Oven, until he watched the infomercial for The Perfect Cooker. He hounded me and hounded me for one until I caved. I found one on sale at Kohl’s (lucky me!).
You wouldn’t believe how many delicious meals the little appliance can whip up. Mac and Cheese, Chicken Pot Pie, Spaghetti and Meatballs, and even Cheesecake! So far he’s made Banana Bread, Lava Brownies and Spaghetti in his Perfect Cooker. One meal he really wanted to make was a Shepherd’s Pie.
One day my son had a lot of homework, so he didn’t have time to play with his new appliance. So I decided to surprise him with a quick and easy Skillet Shepherd’s Pie.
My son is a mashed potato king, so it’s no wonder he was craving it so much. Every week we go to Hometown Buffet-I know, every week but that’s a whole other story. The only thing he always gets is mashed potatoes and gravy. So yea, Shepherd’s Pie was highly appealing to him.
I love this skillet version I threw together, as it starts with lean ground turkey and seasonings, with simple frozen veggies and spaghetti sauce mixed in, all topped with cheesy mashed potatoes. It’s a perfect quick weeknight meal.
If you have a hankering for a delicious St. Patrick’s Day dinner, but are short on time or haven’t got around to picking up a corned beef, this dinner is perfect for you!
Easy Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Number of servings: 6
- 1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1-2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups instant mashed potato flakes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup lowfat milk
- 3 Tb butter
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook two minutes. Add the ground turkey and break down, cooking with the onion until onion is softened and turkey is browned.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in the frozen vegetables and spaghetti sauce. Cover and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 cups water to boiling. Add the instant potato flakes and 3 Tb butter. Whisk until combined. Stir in the milk and whisk until fluffy.
- Spread the potatoes over the ground beef mixture in the skillet. Top with shredded cheese and cover until cheese is melted and pie is heated through. Remove from heat. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.