Strawberries are a sexy fruit. They scream Valentine’s Day. Perhaps it’s their bold red color. Or their sweet juicy taste. Or the fact that they are shaped like little hearts. But they are perfect for any romantic moment. So of course for this week’s #FreshTastyValentines hosted by Camilla of Culinary Advetures with Camilla, and thanks to Kitchen IQ for providing an adorable Strawberry Tool, I opted for a sexy strawberry dessert.
The strawberry tool has a nifty strawberry huller at the center and a sturdy blade for slicing strawberries rather thickly. And it’s fun to use! And I love their zester! It has a nifty holding container to catch the zest AND measure it in. Love it!
And since Casabella was generous to provide some shears so gorgeous that even my husband wanted to steal them, along with a cute silicone garlic roaster, I decided to pair my heart healthy strawberries with strips of basil and antioxidant rich balsamic vinegar glaze.
These were a match made in dessert heaven. Flaky pie crust made with flour, almond flour, butter and coconut oil holds the foundation for a lightly sweetened low fat cream cheese and yogurt spread and mountain of basil balsamic glazed strawberries. Gorgeous!!!
And I got to have fun using my new kitchen tools. And even more fun watching my family enjoy these. We couldn’t eat these all as I recipe tested for my small family, so I brought them to my in-laws’ house. They all LOVED them!
These would be perfect for your Valentine sweetie! And these tools would make a great gift too. You may want to swing by and enter the giveaway while you’re here, so you don’t miss out!
Wait, not before you gaze at that pretty tart right there just once more!
The crust dough is so simple to make in a food processor!
Rolling out hearts is so fun!
Look at my strawberry tool, zester and shears! Love them all!
I especially love this see thru measuring part of the zester. Way cool!
I mixed my cream cheese in a food processor, but I would prefer my stand mixer for the fluff factor.
My taste tester. She wants to help with EVERYTHING.
I could stare at these all day. So glad there aren’t anymore here to tempt me. But then again, they are healthy.
And with a light shower of powdered sugar, the basil balsamic glaze glistens a bit more.
I hope you get to try these out soon so you can sweeten your honey (wink, wink).
And don’t forget the Rafflecopter giveaway with #FreshTastyValentines below!!
Sweetheart Strawberry Tarts with Cream Cheese and Basil Balsamic Glaze
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Number of servings: 8
- 5 Tb cold butter, cubed
- 4 Tb cold coconut oil
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced thinly
- 1 Tb basil, sliced into ribbons
- 3 Tb balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tb sugar
- 1 8 oz package Neufchatel cream cheese
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 Tb sugar
- 3 Tb honey
- 3 tsp lemon zest, divided
- powdered sugar for dusting
For the Tart Crusts
For the Strawberries and Glaze
For the Cream Cheese Topping
- Prepare the tart crust. In a food processor, combine the cold butter, cold coconut oil and all purpose flour and pulse a few times. Add the almond flour and pulse until mixture resembles peas. Slowly pulse in ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Divide dough into 8 portions. On a lightly floured work surface press or roll each portion into a 3″x4″ heart or press into mini tart pans.
- Place 4 hearts onto each of two baking pans lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Prick each heart a few times with the tines of a fork. Bake for 12-14 minutes before edges barely begin to get color. Watch closely so they don’t brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking sheets until completely cooled.
- In a small saucepan, combine the balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons sugar and whisk to combine. Add the basil and bring to low simmer. Simmer about 5 minutes on low until mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat to cool.
- Combine cream cheese, Greek yogurt, honey, 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tsp lime zest in food processor until fluffy, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- With a spoon or piping bag, top the cooled tart crusts with cream cheese topping.
- Arrange the sliced strawberries on each of the cream cheese topped tarts. Using a pastry brush, brush the cooled balsamic glaze lightly on the strawberries. Sprinkle on remaining 1 tsp lime zest. Arrange on a platter and dust with powdered sugar to serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers and stored covered up to 2 days.
This post was sponsored by Kitchen IQ and Casabella. I received complimentary product from the sponsors for participating in #FreshTastyValentines. No additional compensation was received by me. All opinions, text, images, and recipe are my own, unless otherwise noted. Feel free to substitute the branded ingredients as needed with a like for like product. *This post contains affiliate links.