Have you ever been to those home parties where they sell you amazing dishes and unique microwavable crocks all while satiating your cravings for unique foods like fruit pizza and microwavable chicken chili? Well I’ve devoured said microwavable chicken chili at numerous home parties and had quite a hankering for it a while ago.
I’ve been sitting on this post waiting for just the opportune season to share it. And with this crazy but much needed California rain and wonderful winter chill, I figured now was a better time than any.
I made this chicken chili with the flavors of my craving in mind but this pretty much turned out as a near cross breed to chicken tortilla soup with all the yumminess I added. But hey, whose complaining?
So I crumbled tortilla chips on mine. Please, do not alert the carb police!
I took the guesswork out of the cooking steps and made this in my slowcooker. My husband shredded the chicken for me before I came home from work, so all I had to do was come home and eat it! It’s loaded with green vegetables and so delicious!
Fresh bone in chicken breast gives this soup a rich broth while tender dark meat adds more deep flavors.
Fiber full beans and tangy tomatillos put the “chili” in the soup.
This flavor packed chili soup will definitely cure any comfort food craving.
Slowcooker Green Chicken Tortilla Chili Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours, 10 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours, 30 minutes
Number of servings: 8
- One whole bone in chicken breast
- 1 pound boneless chicken thigh
- 1 large zucchini, quartered lengthwise, then diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced.
- 2 poblano chilies, seeded and diced
- 3 tomatillos, diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 7 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4-1/2 tsp chili powder (depending on spice intensity)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups of water
- 2 - 14 oz cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- Prepare the vegetables by dicing the bell peppers, poblano chiles, tomatillos, onions, and zucchini into equal small dices. Smash the garlic with the back of a wooden spoon and leave whole.
- In a large skillet (or in a slow-cooker with stovetop setting), heat to medium and add 1 Tb oil and then add all the vegetables. Sautee lightly about 3 minutes. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Push the vegetables to the side and sear the chicken lightly on each side.
- Add the vegetables to the bottom of the slow-cooker and top with the chicken. Add the remaining spices, chicken bouillon and bay leaf. Add the beans and 6 cups water.
- Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the pot and shred into bite sized pieces, throwing out the chicken bones and bay leaf.
- Return the chicken to the pot and stir gently.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocado, and/or chopped cilantro, if desired.