This month I am reminded to hold my family tight, live each day like there is no tomorrow and relish and all the joy each day brings. The Christmas season to me is about Family, Love and Jesus.
My focus lately has been solely on my family, pulling me away from my posts here. But in light of bringing joy, sharing my love of food is one thing on that list.
I made these cookies with holiday season in mind. A season of bright flavors and festive colors. A season of snowflakes and sugarplums. A season of diamonds and lemon drops. And of course to complete this month’s Fill the Cookie Jar, which is a monthly virtual cookie exchange shared with my friends and hosted by my friend Cynthia at Feeding Big.
These cookies bring delight with each bite, bursting with lemon flavor, rich dark chocolate, sweetened flaked coconut and mixed berry preserves, topped with a delicate glaze of sweet milk. They are melt in your mouth delicious.
Holiday Jewel Cookies
These ingredients are the magic to the jewel of this cookie.
Light and fluffy cream cheese and butter are key to this bar cookie’s softness.
Licking the batter is just an added bonus to being my child. 😉
The swirls of berry preserves add the perfect holiday touch.
You will want to gobble these up once the sweet milk is drizzled on top!
Don’t forget to leave some out for Santa on Christmas Eve.
And for more great cookie recipes, check out the recipes below!
Holiday Jewel Cookies
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 32
- 3 ounces Neufchatel cream cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pure lemon extract
- 6 Tb mixed berry preserves
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter in a stand mixer on medium speed, until it is very light and fluffy.
- Add the brown sugar and sugar and cream together until combined. Add the eggs and lemon extract and mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the butter mixture until combined. Pour in the dark chocolate chips and sweetened flaked coconut. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture onto a 13 x 9″ baking pan edge to edge.
- Dallop with the berry preserves and swirl into cookie dough lightly to create a marble design.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until browned around the edges and center is mostly set. Remove from oven. Drizzle with sweetened condensed milk and allow to cool completely.
- Cut into bars when completely cooled. Cut bars in half diagonally to create diamond shapes, if desired.