Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Big baggy sweatpants and food that’s finger lickin’
Sugar that sticks on your hips and your thighs
These are a few of my favorite things…
Seriously though, I finally burned off Thanksgiving weight gain, and I really don’t want more to creep on this Christmas as well! I am so proud of myself! I only ate 2 tamales yesterday! When tamale season hits I typically eat about 5 in one day-because I have to try them all as I steam them!
But this holiday season it’s about healthy eating, healthy foods and healthy snacks.
Did you know nuts are the perfect holiday snack food? No I am not talking about brittle (though, shh, I did make some) or pecan pie (but oh, doesn’t that sounds good!?). I’m talking about trail mix and snack mix, cheese and nut logs with crackers, yogurt with slivered almonds and figgy pudding with pecans. Wait-hold on-figgy pudding?!!!
Yes!! I said figgy pudding.
Nuts.com is looking for holiday themed healthy snack and I came up with just that! A holiday themed healthy snack. What’s more Christmas than bringing you some figgy pudding?? I concocted a way to make figgy pudding into bite-sized balls of delight. I packed the rich exotic taste of rum and orange soaked figs and raisins, sticky honey and sweet marmalade into a little ball rolled in sweet pecans. This nearly organic teeny little pudding ball is finished off with a light dusting of powdered sugar. Yummy!
And nuts.com has nuts AND figs in their store too!
And if this seems just a little odd to you-it’s been taste tested by my picky hubby and my son’s foodie loving behavioral aide. And I bet these taste amazing as the flavors meld weeks before Christmas.
I’ll let you know…I’m still counting down the days until Christmas. Well, off to go see Santa and take some family photos!
Here’s the recipe!
Healthy ingredients to start.
Orange infused dried fruits.
Figgy pudding gone nuts!
Sweet sticky goodness and rum flavor galore! (Feel free to use the real thing in the orange juice step-see recipe note.)
Mix it up for some sticky delight.
More nuts! This could be good.
They are all rolled up!
And ready for some snow!
Well Merry Christmas and Seasons Eatings!
Gone Nutty Figgy Pudding BonBons
Total Time: 6 hours, 30 minutes
Number of servings: 28
Per Serving 99 calories
Fat 6 g
Carbs 12 g
Protein 2 g
1/4 cup rum and 3/4 cup orange juice can be used in the simmering stage for more rum flavor and boozy bonbons.
- 2 cups dried figs, stems removed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup marmalade
- 2 tsp rum extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Remove the stems off the figs with a sharp knife. Place the stems and raisins in a saucepan and pour orange juice over. Simmer on low about 10 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed into the dried fruit.
- Pour the fruits and juice into a food processor and puree completely until smooth and sticky.
- Add the 1/4 cup of the pecans and process until combined.
- Add the honey, marmalade and rum and almond extracts. Process.
- Add the almond flour and process until combined.
- Scoop the mixture into a container with a lid and chill to meld flavors, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Process the remaining 1 cup pecans until it resembles large bread crumbs.
- Scoop the mixture into large tablespoons and carefully roll in hands to make a ball. Mixture will be sticky. Roll balls into minced pecans.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.