My finickiest shark has been on a chili fry kick since the beginning of summer. Yes, I know these are a bit on the fatty side, but he’s a bit on the thinner side, a nasty side effect of his ADHD medication. But a plus to chili fries is they are typically gluten free, and therefore autism friendly. Win, win, and happy mom!
Another happy note: I got to review Amy’s blog over at Amy’s Cooking Adventures this month for Secret Recipe Club. It’s this super cool recipe where a group of us food bloggers sneak onto another’s blog, explore it, cook it and share it. I love Amy’s blog. I’ve actually been stalking her blog for awhile, as I’ve actually linked with her on other events before too!
But Amy, when I saw these Chili Tots…Oh I immediately thought how perfect it was for Finicky Shark! Gluten free, meaty, cheesy, potatoey (is that a word?). And this was her dinner! How much more personal to Amy can we get than that! I love to share my secret bloggers’ more personable recipes. It really gets to the gut of their blog.
Amy started her blog almost like me, inspired by her picky child, her oldest boy Dude. Amy loves to read and sew and would be a school teacher had she not made the respectful decision to stay home with her kiddos. Amy’s reference to her home as “organized chaos” rings true to me too! So funny!
Of course I could have made her Homemade Egg Noodles which called to my inner child, but nagged at my lazy self. Amy’s super Easy Slow Cooker Risotto is definitely in my make later book. I did base my chili for this recipe on her Hearty Garden Chili here. I swapped veggie for veggie and added canned chili instead of beans. I also swapped ground beef for ground turkey sausage. Either way, it was delicious and even more delicious the very next day!
Now let’s cook!
Okay, now stuff your face, as Amy says. 😉
And check out the other SRC recipes below.
Cheesy Chili Tots
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 6
Per Serving 763 calories
Fat 48 g
Carbs 50 g
Protein 33 g
- 1 32 ounce bag potato tots or rounds
- 1 lb ground turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 cup sweet red wine
- 1 Tb canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 15 oz cans spicy chili with beans
- 5 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 oz monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- First bake the potato tots as directed on the packaging, (approx 425F for about 12-15 minutes).
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, brown the ground turkey and diced onion in the canola oil. Cook 5 minutes, breaking down the sausage. Add the minced garlic. Season with salt.
- Stir in the mushrooms and saute 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and red wine and reduce heat slightly. Cook down wine about 5 minutes. Stir in the canned chili and simmer about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until heated through and flavors have combined.
- Serve chili ladled over potato tots and sprinkled with shredded cheese.