Those who say summertime is a crazy time of year aren’t kidding. Life has been in full swing since my oldest son’s 11th birthday. Ever since I wrapped up #HotSummerEats with my friend Camilla, I have been MIA. But OMG with 1 kid out of school and working
with for me once a week, 1 in summer school and still having ongoing ABA therapy, now 4 times a week, 1 out of preschool and ready for Kinder and 1 infant… Well, doesn’t that explain the OMG??
And my hubby, wow, props to him for taking care of the little boogers until nearly 3pm everyday until they get to spend a couple hours of quality with grandma so he can work odd 2nd shift hours. Then the kids go back to me and such is life. He’s been working late (can you say 11pm?!) which has limited my cooking to fish sticks, leftover pizza and grilled cheese sandwiches. Okay, time to kick it up Saundra and blog some kid recipes to keep this going, yea?! Check out FB post here!
It is kinda tricky getting home from work and picking up kids, nursing the baby and watching over Jesse and his behavior therapists three times a week from 6-8pm. Where is my life??
I will force myself to cook this week, I will force myself to cook this week.
But hey, can I just share these wonderful Camo Cheesecake Stuffed Cupcakes topped with Cinnamon Cream and Mocha Frosting??? They are so drool worthy I actually caught my son eating one of the few I forgot to throw out after the party that were hiding in the back of the fridge. Of course, I was hiding them from myself!
Cheesecake Stuffed Camo Cupcakes with Mocha Cinnamon Vanilla Swirl Frosting
To make about 32 cupcakes, first you’ll need:
1/2 box chocolate cake mix and half ingredients on box
1 box yellow cake mix and ingredients on box
green food coloring
half recipe No Bake Cheesecake without chocolate chips
Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box. Using the yellow cake mix, mix 2-3 different shades of green using 1/4 each of the yellow cake batter and desired drops of green food coloring in small bowls. Save one bowl of just plain yellow cake batter.
Preheat the oven according to the directions on your cake mix box. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Using a small cookie scoop, drop the cake mixes in various patterns to create a camoflaug batter. Fill the cupcake only up to 3/4 full.
Bake as directed, then meanwhile, prepare the No Bake Cheesecake filling.
When the cupcakes have cooled slightly, fill the cupcakes with about 1 Tb cheesecake filling using a pastry bag. Don’t overfill them as the cupcakes may burst.
Prepare the frosting using the recipe below and frost as desired. Top with desired candies or decorations. I used melting chocolates to create these delicious lego bricks and people.
My son adored these cupcakes. This recipe is for 32 cupcakes. For my son’s party, I made 3 boxes of cake mix and ended up with 48 cupcakes and an army tanker, pictured here. I used a cinnamon stick for the canon shooter and decorated the tanker cake with remaining frosting. I also used a full recipe of cheesecake filling and filled the tanker cake as well.
What a delicious 11th birthday party we all had!
Mocha Cinnamon Vanilla Swirl Frosting
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 32
Per Serving 114 calories
Fat 6 g
Carbs 15 g
Protein 0 g
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tb cocoa powder
- food coloring gel, optional
- 2-3 Tb cinnamon vanilla flavored coffee creamer
- 2-3 Tb espresso or 1/2 Tb instant coffee granules dissolved in 2-3 Tb water
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter until fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Beat in the powdered sugar, ! cup at a time, beating well after each addition, until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture in half and set aside half in a bowl.
- For the cinnamon vanilla frosting, add the coffee creamer in a thin stream with the mixer running. Beat until combined well, Add optional food coloring and mix until combined well and fluffy. Using a rubber scraper, remove frosting from mixer and set aside.
- For the mocha frosting, add the plain frosting back to the clean mixer and beat in 3 Tb cocoa powder. Mix until combined. With the mixer running, pour in the espresso in a thin stream and mix until combined well and fluffy.
- To frost the cupcakes, spoon half of each color into a pastry bag, side by side and frost cupcakes in a swirl pattern to create the cinnamon vanilla mocha swirl.
What are your adventures this summer?