I’ve been slipping off the grid a little and I think I know why. My new schedule of picking up the kids from their grandma’s has cut into my meal brainstorming time.
I used to drive home from work every night with my thoughts to myself, thinking about dinner and what my next creation would be in the kitchen. You’re probably thinking ,” Well gee, why can’t she think of something on the way TO work when she’s by herself?” Well hello, I’m not exactly hungry for dinner on the way to work. I’m really just half asleep and craving a hot cup of coffee.
So back to my point – I was driving home from work yesterday and my husband was getting the kids, and a new recipe popped in my head with inspiration from Golden Girl Granola. I had already made a breakfast with this delicious granola, but a dinner sounded challenging, savory, and just plain delicious.
Golden Girl Granola has given bloggers the opportunity to create an entrée featuring their delicious variety of granolas made from their family business in Massachusetts. Their granola is distributed widely in stores across the New England area. It is all natural and full of flavor. My choice was Chocolate Decadence with luscious chocolate chips, slivered almonds and shaved coconut flesh throughout.
The rich chocolate and hearty texture of the granola inspired me to make a Spanish mole sauce made with chipotle and peanut butter, onions and garlic. I wanted something to pour the sauce over so I opted to make nontraditional meatballs made of lean ground beef and spicy pork chorizo. I used additional granola to hold the meatballs together and baked them in the oven while I made the sauce. Ladled over hot steamed white rice and sprinkled with fresh cilantro, the sweetness and spices were competitive enough to even tickle my children’s taste buds. My oldest son even served himself seconds.
So without further ado, I give you Chorizo Meatballs with Sweet Mole Sauce over Rice, Golden Girl Granola style!!!
UPDATE: I WON SECOND PLACE!!!!
Rounding up the ingredients. I used one can of chipotle sauce. Feel free to use two if you like it spicy!
Ready to mix the meat with finely ground granola and spices.
26 meatballs easily scooped then rolled with damp hands.
Making the mole sauce: processing the granola, spices, onion, garlic, chocolate and peanut butter.
Please let me know what you think by commenting below. And be sure to check out Golden Girl Granola for all their tasty options.
*This post was sponsored by Golden Girl Granola. I received free product from the sponsor for participating in their Blogger Recipe Challenge. No additional compensation was received by me. All opinions, text, images, and recipe are my own. Feel free to substitute the branded ingredients as needed with a like for like product.
Chorizo Meatballs with Sweet Mole Sauce – Golden Girl Granola Recipe Challenge Entry
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Number of servings: 6
Per Serving 825 calories
Fat 49 g
Carbs 55 g
Protein 40 g
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 12 oz pork chorizo
- 1/2 cup Golden Girl Granola, Chocolate Decadence, processed finely
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 Tb canola oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 7.75 oz can medium chipotle sauce
- four blocks Mexican chocolate
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Golden Girl Granola, Chocolate Decadence
- 1 Tb chicken bouillon
- 1-2 cups hot water
- 4 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 6 Tb fresh cilantro, chopped
For the Meatballs
For the Sweet Mole
- Preheat oven to 400F. Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix gently with clean hands until well incorporated. Scoop heaping tablespoon portions onto an ungreased baking sheet. With dampened hands, roll meatballs smoothly. Bake for 20 minutes until browned.
- In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium heat. Cook the onion until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor, process the granola with the chocolate. Add the onion and garlic mixture and the peanut butter and process until combined well.
- Pour in the chipotle sauce and add the chicken bouillon. Process again, With the processor running, stream in the hot water until desired consistency is reached.
- Add the sweet mole back to the large skillet. Keep warm over low heat. When the meatballs are done, carefully transfer meatballs one by one into sauce. Toss to coat and heat through.
- Serve ladled over hot rice, 3/4 cup per serving. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, 1 Tb per serving.