Do you ever flip through a cookbook or a magazine and find that special recipe you always wanted to make? The exotic one with the special ingredients but the simplest of steps? As I was browsing through Corina’s blog at Searching for Spice, I came across this recipe for Thai Chicken and Potato Curry.
I was assigned Corina’s blog for this month’s Secret Recipe Club reveal, where a group of bloggers are given a new bloggers online cookbook to share a recipe of their liking.
The beauty of this dish had me anticipating dinner. Even after eating at the buffet for my son’s birthday lunch, I still came home and made this wonderful meal, that even my husband enjoyed a second helping of, because it was that satisfying. Even my baby was gobbling up curry soaked rice. She loves to eat!
What I love about Corina’s blog is her variety of curry, spicy and savory dishes. She and I share a love of curries and ethnic foods. I think I may have to dog ear her entire blog, as a cookbook of my own collection to store away for safe keeping. She did, in fact, begin her blog as a way to record all of her recipes in one place. What a great way of keeping memories and favorites!
Some recipes on her blog I was especially drawn to was her Chicken Katsu Curry, which was gorgeous fried chicken pieces served with a rich curry sauce, Capsicum Subzi, an Indian vegetable curry and rice dish, and a beautiful caramelized Banana Upside Down Cake. I’m telling you, her blog is endless. You really need to check it out! And here’s my version of her delicious Thai Chicken and Potato Curry which she points out, you can do just about anything with.
What I love about this recipe is that I was able to use my collection of fresh refrigerated herb pastes, like chili, ginger and lemon grass, and plucked leaves straight from my lemon tree. I chose bamboo shoots, baby corn and sweet peas as my accompaniment to the chicken and potatoes. This dish is a gorgeous coconut milk based yellow curry that is full of spunk. A true dish that belongs on my “make again” list.
If you really want to try an easy ethnic recipe, please put this on your list. Your tummy and taste buds will thank you!
Thai Chicken and Potato Curry – #SRC
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 4
Per Serving 718 calories
Fat 32 g
Carbs 82 g
Protein 31 g
- 1 cup jasmine rice, dry
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tb peanut or macadamia nut oil
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 Tb ginger paste
- 1 Tb lemon grass paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 black pepper
- 2 Tb water
- 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 8 oz chicken stock
- 3/4 lb chicken breast, slice thin
- 2 small golden potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 5 oz can bamboo shoots
- 15 oz can baby corn
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fish sauce
For the Curry
For the Dish
- Combine the rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring the water to boiling, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- In a small dish, combine the curry ingredients until blended.
- Heat a wok or non stick skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Pour in the curry and cook until it bubbles and thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and add the potatoes. Stir to combine. Add enough of the chicken stock to cover the potatoes. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and remaining chicken broth. Continue simmering until chicken is cooked through, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the vegetables and heat through.
- Remove from heat and add the fish sauce to taste. Serve with jasmine rice.