Cherry Chipotle Chicken Wings and Caribeque Shoestrings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Number of servings: 6
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 6 Tb butter
- 1/2 cup Not Ketchup Cherry Chipotle Sauce
- 1/2-1 tsp Caribeque Calypso Kick (optional)
- 5-8 dashes tabasco sauce (optional)
- 2 small onions, sliced thin
- 2 zucchinis spiralized
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tb lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Caribeque Calypso Kick
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Caribeque Calypso Kick
- dash salt
For the Chicken Wings
For the Shoestring Vegetables
- Prepare the shoestring onions and zucchini to marinate before making the chicken wings. Begin by slicing the onions thinly with a mandolin and separating the rings. Using a vegetable spiralizer, spiral cut the zucchini.
- Whisk together the milk, lemon juice, and seasoning and add the onions and zucchini to soak. Set aside and prepare the chicken wings.
- Fill a large skillet with about 1-2 inches of oil or a deep fryer and heat to 350°F or medium high heat.
- Cut the chicken wing tips from the chicken wings along the joint and discard. Cut the drum from the wing along the joint.
- Fry the chicken wing portions until golden brown about 10 to 15 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan melt the butter and whisk in Not Ketchup Cherry Chipotle Sauce, 1/2-1 tsp Caribeque Calypso Kick (optional) and a few dashes of Tabasco sauce (optional).
- Toss the chicken wings in the sauce and heat through. Place in the oven to keep warm.
- Return to the onion and zucchini strings. Combine the flour and seasonings in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Using tongs, grab a that small amount of the vegetable mixture and shake off the liquid. Toss lightly in the flour mixture and shake off excess.
- Drop the coated vegetables into the same oil pot that was used for the chicken and fry until light golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel to drain and sprinkle with dash salt.
- Continue frying in batches until all vegetables are fried, drained and seasoned.
- To serve, place a pile of shoestring vegetables and top with 3 to 4 chicken wings per person.
This post was sponsored by Not Ketchup and Caribeque. I received one bottle of Cherry Chipotle Sauce and a seasoning bottle of Calypso Kick from the sponsors for participating in #HotSummerEats. No additional compensation was received by me. All opinions, text, images, and recipe are my own, unless otherwise noted. Feel free to substitute the branded ingredients as needed with a like for like product.