1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
2 Tb liquid egg whites
1 tsp coconut oil
1 1/2 Tb granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
the Sweet Mercy Vanilla Baking Mix and dash salt. Whisk together. Add the cold butter cut into cubes.
*This post was sponsored by Sweet Mercy. I received free product from the sponsor in exchange for a new recipe creation. No additional compensation was received by me. All opinions, text, images, and recipe are my own. Feel free to substitute the branded ingredients as needed with a like for like product. In this case, you can substitute all purpose flour. This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Churrovers - Chocolate Churro Turnovers
Prep Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Number of servings: 12
Per Serving 227 calories
Fat 14 g
Carbs 22 g
Protein 2 g
- 1 cup flour or sweet mercy baking mix
- Dash salt
- 10 Tb cold butter
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tb liquid egg whites
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 Tb granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- In a large bowl combine the Sweet Mercy Vanilla Baking Mix and dash salt. Whisk together. Add the cold butter cut into cubes. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the mix until it resembles small peas. Stir in the ice water with a fork and mix to a dough.
- Turn the dough onto surface dusted with more baking mix. Roll out to a rectangle. Fold the dough over into thirds. Roll the dough out into another rectangle. Fold into thirds again and roll again. Repeat this process 5 times.
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, and up to 2 days.
- When ready to prepare the pastries, preheat the oven to 400F.
- Sprinkle a pastry board with baking mix. Cut the dough into two equal portions.
- Roll the dough to a rectangle 8×12 inches and cut into 2 by 3 rows, making six 4″ squares.
- Place 1 Tb chocolate chips in the center of each square.
- Brush two edges of the inside of one square with egg whites. Fold the dough over into a triangle and press lightly to seal.
- Repeat this process for the remainder of the squares and dough. Transfer each turnover to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Brush the tops of the pastries with egg whites. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small shallow dish, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining chocolate chips, about 2 Tb in a microwave safe dish and combine with the coconut oil. Heat for 20 second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Dredge the turnovers in the cinnamon sugar mixture and drizzle with the chocolate. Serve warm.