A month ago I received a blogger’s favorite Christmas present, a box full of sponsor goodies. These goodies, to be exact, were fresh herbs squeezed into tiny squeeze tubes that are stored in the refrigerator. In addition I received tiny little resealable containers of lightly dried herbs. And hot and cold insulated food packs to boot! These goodies were provided by Gourmet Garden for a special blogger event coming in February called #TripleSBites.
And so that led to the creation of this Italian Sausage and Pepper Stroganoff.
Mild Italian sausage and sweet bell peppers are mixed with creamy mushroom soup and fat free Greek yogurt to make a savory meal that your taste buds will devour.
1 lb medium egg noodles, uncooked
1 lb ground mild italian sausage
1/2 large green bell pepper, finely diced
1/4 large yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 family size can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
1 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid, divided
1/2 cup lowfat milk
4 Tb butter
2 tsp Gourmet Garden lightly dried parsley, or fresh parsley
2 tsp Gourmet Garden garlic paste, or minced garlic
additional parsley and red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
Italian Sausage and Pepper Stroganoff
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 8
Per Serving 601 calories
Fat 31 g
Carbs 59 g
Protein 22 g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 16
*Nutritional value may vary depending upon which ingredients are used.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Famished Fish and in no way endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
- 1 lb medium egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 lb ground mild italian sausage
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 family size can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid, divided
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk
- 4 Tb butter
- 2 tsp Gourmet Garden lightly dried parsley, or fresh parsley
- 2 tsp Gourmet Garden garlic paste, or minced garlic
- additional parsley and red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain the noodles reserving 1 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid, and return the noodles to the pot.
- In a large skillet combine the Italian sausage, diced onion, garlic salt and pepper, and sauté over medium heat.
- Cook for a few minutes until the onion is nearly translucent, then add the diced bell pepper. Cook until the sausage is browned and the vegetables are tender. Stir in the cream of mushroom soup and Greek yogurt, half cup milk and one cup of reserved pasta cooking liquid.
- Stir until combined and heated through.
- To the drained egg noodles, add 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta cooking liquid, 4 tablespoons butter, 2 teaspoons lightly dried parsley and 2 teaspoons puréed garlic to the egg noodles and toss lightly.
- To serve spoon 2 cups of egg noodles onto plate and top with sausage stroganoff mixture.
- Top with additional lightly dried parsley and red pepper flakes.