Have you ever been approached with an opportunity that you wanted to leap at? I mean, jump into the pool and dive in?
That’s exactly how I felt when I was offered the chance to review and giveaway It’s All Greek To Me by Debbie Matenopoulos.
I adore Greek food! Absolutely adore it.
It’s so fresh and overwhelming with taste and it screams healthy ingredients. Nuts and oils and fruits and vegetables with grilled or baked proteins make up the majority of recipes in Debbie’s book.
Debbie was born in Virginia of Greek decent. Debbie’s own love of her family’s traditional food and desire to stay fit and healthy convinced her to write her own cookbook, where she delves into the food and dabbles little family stories on each recipe. Debbie has also had a career as an entertainment news reporter and television host, including televisions’ The View.
I could spend forever in this book and can’t wait to make the traditional Greek Cookies covered in sesame seeds that are compared to how America traditionalizes chocolate chip cookies.
I chose to make a meal out of four of Debbie’s mouth watering recipes.
For one, I had to make the Skorthalia, especially after reading the little family story blurb of a relative mistaking it for mashed potatoes and his face turning red.
The Skorthalia, or Garlic Sauce made with Potatoes, is typically served with cod (but I swear I could smear it on everything!). I even froze my leftover sauce in an ice cube tray for later!
So of course I made the Oven Fried Cod-just so I could have the Skorthalia. The Cod was the most amazing baked fish I ever made. My family inhaled it.
And right alongside the cod recipe was a recipe for Seafood Rice, which was a basic risotto with shrimp and mussels. I omitted the mussels so my kids would eat it, and swapped frozen peas for frozen mixed veggies. All the same 😉 It was so savory and delicious.
Come “Fall for Greek” with me with It’s All Greek, and enter the Giveaway below. And check out this quick recipe for Skorthalia. I hope you love it as much as I do!
If you’d like to try these recipes, please enter the raffle below to win a FREE copy of Debbie’s cookbook.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Skorthalia-Garlic Sauce Made with Potatoes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 24
Per Serving 96 calories
Fat 7 g
Carbs 8 g
Protein 1 g
Serve with baked cod or fish at room temperature. Store up to 5 days, covered in the refrigerator. *Tip: Freeze in ice cube trays for later use as individual servings.
- 4 large Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeles
- 2 Tb plus 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, and more to taste
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tb fresh squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
- Cut the peeled potatoes into 2" chunks and place in a large pot. Cover the potatoes with cold water and stir in the 2 Tb sea salt. Bring to a boil and boil over medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and immediately process in a food processor. Add the garlic and additional salt and process until smooth.
- Slowly stream in the olive oil with the machine running, followed by the lemon juice. Add more salt to taste, if desired.
- Makes 1 1/2 cups, or 24 servings at 2 Tb each.