I’m standing in my kitchen and staring into my pantry at packs of nori seaweed and think how much my boys would love some Spam Musubi. I considered Chicken Musubi, but I didn’t feel much like defrosting any chicken breast. So, I get my rice cooking in the rice cooker and gather all my ingredients together and look in my pantry again for Spam and…we have none.
So what do I??? I improvise like any other Supermom would do! Hot dogs could work! Hot dog sushi to be precise! With all the flavor fare of musubi. Yep, it’s a go.
And the process is super simple!
Hotdog Musubi Sushi Rolls
4 turkey hotdog links
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tb sesame seeds, optional
And watch your kids devour these! They declared these sushi rolls the best ever! And to top it off, these are real money savers!
Hotdog Musubi Sushi Rolls
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Number of servings: 6
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 10
*Nutritional value may vary depending upon which ingredients are used.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Famished Fish and in no way endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
- 2 cups calrose rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tb rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 turkey hotdog links
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 sheets toasted nori seaweed
- 2 Tb sesame seeds, optional
For the Sushi Rice
For the Musubi Filling
For the Rolls
- Steam and prepare the rice according to the directions on your rice cooker.
- When the rice is done, flip it out onto a sheet pan and sprinkle with the rice vinegar and sugar. Toss and fold with a turner or rice paddle.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add the musubi sauce ingredients. Slice the hotdogs in half lengthwise and add to the sauce. Simmer and heat through until the sauce has thickened and the hotdogs are heated.
- Lay a sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi mat and top with sushi rice until evenly covered, pressing down with wet hands or the back of a spoon to cover evenly. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired. Lay a sheet of saran wrap over the rice, press down and carefully flip over on the mat.
- Place 1 1/2 pieces halved hotdog links onto the nori side of the sushi roll.
- Using the saran wrap and sushi mat as a guide, roll up over the hotdog links, pulling the saran wrap up as you roll.
- Slice the hotdog musubi sushi roll into 8 slices and serve immediately.
What is your favorite sushi rolling filling?
You may also enjoy Eggplant in Garlic Sauce with Rice Noodles