I had tamales coming out of my ears last month as I made batches and batches for Christmas gifts. I cooked my meats in bulk and put the excess in the freezer for later thawing as I made more. I whipped up huge batches of red and green chiles. I had lots and lots of cheese leftover from a Christmas brunch I hosted where I made plenty of breakfast casseroles and veggie dishes.
So where am I going with this? I had to create something with all that leftover goodness! Of course, chicken and cheese and red and green sauces could easily make a really good chicken enchilada. Or even a chimichanga. Or an empanada. Or how about a calzone?
Yup, I fell so in love with the whole wheat pizza crust I made last fall that I had to make it again. And a Mexican calzone sounded so perfect!
Shredded Cheddar Jack cheese, zesty enchilada sauce, cooked chicken breast and olives are stuffed into flaky whole wheat pizza crust to create these filling and flavorful Chicken Enchilada Calzones. Why don’t I call them empanadas? Because they are huge and made with pizza crust!
So scour your refrigerator and throw these delicious culinary pockets together for an easy weeknight meal. Don’t have chicken? Use beef? Don’t have enchilada sauce? Try salsa! Green and red work great. Don’t have olives? Try mushrooms. Your options are endless!
3 cups cooked chicken breast
2 cups enchilada sauce
1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
16 Spanish olives
And one recipe for Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Prepare the Whole Pizza Crust as directed in this blog post. Roll it out onto a floured surface and divide it into 4 quarter circles.
Shred the chicken and mix it with the enchilada sauce. I split my chicken in half and used both green and red sauces.
Roll each quarter into 1/4″ thick crust. Spread 1/4 of the chicken mixture along one side of the rolled out pizza dough. Top with 4 olives.
And cover with 1/4 of the shredded cheese.
Fold in half carefully and pinch the edges to seal. Fold them over and crimp with the edge of a fork dipped in flour.
Transfer to a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. They don’t have to be perfect-they taste delicious either way!
Bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes until browned around edges.
Cut in half and serve with a small salad and some fat free plain Greek yogurt or sour cream. Serves 4. They are oozily delicious!
I had these for lunch today reheated in the toaster oven at work and may I just say, these are just as awesome as leftover toasted pizza?! Yummm!!!
Chicken Enchilada Calzones
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Number of servings: 4
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 23
*Nutritional value may vary depending upon which ingredients are used.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Famished Fish and in no way endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
- 1 1/2 cups regular whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 16 Spanish olives
For the Pizza Crust
For the Filling
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Whisk the pizza crust dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Slowly stir in the olive oil and water with a wooden spoon and mix lightly. Knead on a floured surface for about 2 minutes. Roll it out onto a floured surface and divide it into 4 quarter circles.
- Shred the chicken and mix it with the enchilada sauce.
- Roll each quarter of dough into 1/4″ thick crust. Spread 1/4 of the chicken mixture along one side of the rolled out pizza dough. Top with 4 olives and cover with 1/4 of the shredded cheese.
- Fold in half carefully and pinch the edges to seal. Fold them over and crimp with the edge of a fork dipped in flour.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Transfer calzones to a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes until browned around edges.
How do you plan to stuff your enchilada calzones?
You may also enjoy Twisted Cheesy Breadsticks with Marinara Shots