I’m quite fond of Greek food, as I’ve mentioned in a previous post. And the versatility of making a lot of these foods gluten free is highly appealing when I need to make something for my finicky shark. Apparently gluten has an adverse effect in big thinkers like my autistic boy. Though getting him away from it is like taking candy from a baby. So when I can improvise, I will.
I found a recipe for these yummy Garbanzo Bean Patties used as patties on hamburger buns while perusing for a Greek meal for my Clean Eating Around the World.
What I came up with was a gluten free tender inside, flaky outside patty that we smothered in homemade Greek yogurt Tzatziki sauce. And I served it with a tangy sea salt doused portion of quick roasted potatoes. Of course, my kids covered theirs’ in ketchup and ranch.
And the added benefit of this healthy meal is I was done from start to finish in 30 minutes. And it is perfect for a Meatless Monday.
You want to make the Tzatzikik Sauce first so it has time to thicken up. If you don’t have cheesecloth, a coffee filter over a colander is a quick substitute.
Ingredients for Tzaziki Sauce
1/2 cucumber, peeled and grated
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 Tb lime juice
First grate the cucumber over some cheesecloth placed in a strainer over a medium bowl.
Press the cucumber with the back of a spoon to get any excess water out.
Add the garlic, salt and yogurt on top. Let sit while you prepare the Garbanzo Bean Patties.
In the last step below, the mixture is combined and the lime juice is stirred in.
Greek Garbanzo Bean Patties Ingredients:
1 – 15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
3 Tb lime juice
3 Tb water
3 Tb egg whites
1 tsp tahini
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 Tb shallot
1 cup oatmeal
1 Tb ground flax seed
2 Tb canola oil for frying
Dump the drained and rinsed garbanzo beans in the food processor and add the garlic and shallot. Pulse until well combined, then add the water, lime juice and seasonings and pulse again until mixed well.
Add a delicious side of Greek Herb and Citrus Roasted Potatoes. This makes one healthy clean eating meal full of Greek flavors.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home Garbanzo Bean Burgers.
I am definitely going to try this on a whole wheat bun with some Tahini Yogurt Sauce and some big juicy tomatoes.
Garbanzo Bean Patties with Tzatziki Yogurt Dip
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 7
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 6
*Nutritional value may vary depending upon which ingredients are used.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Famished Fish and in no way endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tb lime juice
- 1 – 15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tb lime juice
- 3 Tb water
- 3 Tb egg whites
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tb shallot
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 Tb ground flax seed
- 2 Tb canola oil for frying
For the Tzaziki Sauce
For Greek Garbanzo Bean Patties
- For the Tzatzkike Sauce: First grate the cucumber over some cheesecloth placed in a strainer over a medium bowl.
- Press the cucumber with the back of a spoon to get any excess water out.
- Add the garlic, salt and yogurt on top. Let sit while you prepare the Garbanzo Bean Patties.
- In the last after the garbanzo patties are done, the mixture is combined and the lime juice is stirred in.
- For the Garbanze Bean Patties: Dump the drained and rinsed garbanzo beans in the food processor and add the garlic and shallot. Pulse until well combined, then add the water, lime juice and seasonings and pulse again until mixed well.
- Add the oatmeal and flax seed and pulse again. Add the chopped bell pepper and pulse until desired consistency.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop the garbanzo bean mixture onto a large nonstick skillet that has been preheated with the 2 Tb of canola oil.
- Fry about 8 minutes until browned on one side.
- Using a turner, carefully flip the patties over and cook another 8 minutes, until desired crispness.
- Transfer Garbanzo Bean Patties to a serving platter.
- Pour the strained Tzatziki mixture into a small bowl and stir in the lime juice. Combine well and serve with the patties.
- Serve in top of a crisp salad, a bed of cucumbers or on a whole wheat or gluten free bun.
What is your favorite meatless burger?
You may also enjoy Shrimp and Crap Burgers