Our family went out to our local burger joint tonight for dinner. Sometimes I just don’t feel much like cooking. I mean, I did make Eggplant in Garlic Sauce with Rice Noodles this morning for our lunch-only took me 30 minutes. I guess I was “cooked out” for the day.
Well that’s what I thought, but not my two year old. I ordered him chicken strips, but he wanted pancakes. They only serve pancakes for breakfast. He kept insisting they had them-I mean, they were on the menu. He wouldn’t take “no” for any answer.
So, like any ever pleasing mom would do, I made him pancakes when we got home.
But my baby, like all my boys, is a petite little guy. He was born nearly 6 weeks early and is still catching up to his heavier peers. So I decided to make some extra nutritional pancakes. And I love making breakfast ahead for the week for all of my boys.
My finicky shark with autism benefits from extra nourishment as well, so I made these Skinny Kid Baby Cakes with just that in mind.
I added a heaping scoop of Protein Synthesis powder in Vanilla for muscle growth and energy sustaining fuel.
And a loaded 1/4 cup of ground flax seed for extra brain power with healthy omegas.
Greek yogurt added a buttermilk taste with high protein, and sugar and baking powder added sweetness and fluff.
2 cups Bisquick, pancake and baking mix
1 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 scoop protein powder, vanilla or plain
2 Tb sugar
1/2 Tb baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl, make a well in center, then add wet ingredients to the well and mix well.
Heat a griddle over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Pour pancake batter in 2 Tb portions onto hot griddle. (Optional-sprinkle with mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.) When bubbles have formed around edges, about 1-2 minutes, carefully flip pancakes and cook 1/2-1 minute more on opposite side. Repeat for entire batch.
Makes about 36 pancakes, or 12 servings.
Mommy’s Skinny Kid Baby Cakes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Number of servings: 12
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 3
*Nutritional value may vary depending upon which ingredients are used.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Famished Fish and in no way endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
- 2 cups Bisquick, pancake and baking mix
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 scoop protein powder, vanilla or plain
- 2 Tb sugar
- 1/2 Tb baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl, make a well in center, then add wet ingredients to the well and mix well.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour pancake batter in 2 Tb portions onto hot griddle. (Optional-sprinkle with mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.)
- When bubbles have formed around edges, about 1-2 minutes, carefully flip pancakes and cook 1/2-1 minute more on opposite side.
- Repeat for entire batch.
- Keep warm under a clean, dry kitchen towel.
What’s your child’s favorite quick breakfast?
You may also enjoy Brown Sugar Scones