In case you were wondering what you should make for breakfast this weekend, go and make this! (Yes, I’m off topic for corn week, but this one is good.)
Do you ever have that moment that you think, “Wow, why didn’t I ever think of this before?” That’s what I thought after I tasted this Peaches and Cream Baked French Toast with a Peachy Whiskey Glaze. It was good. Really good.
This baked French toast is layers of whole wheat bread and juicy peaches, soaked in sweet milk and beaten eggs, then baked until thick and fluffy and drizzled with an amazing whiskey glaze.
And this is so simple to throw together on a busy weekend morning. All it needs is some assembly and some baking time, a quick whisk of the drizzling ingredients, and it’s done.
16 slices stale whole wheat bread
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 Tb butter
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1 cup canned peaches, drained
2 Tb peach schnapps
2 Tb whiskey
1 cup powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Melt butter in a 2 quart casserole dish and swirl to coat pan. Pour remaining butter in small bowl. Whisk in eggs, milks and spices.
Arrange a single layer of bread slices on the bottom of the casserole.
Spread half the can of sliced peaches on top, slicing thinner pieces to cover bread.
Remove from oven and cool slightly. Dust with powdered sugar.
Serve with whiskey glaze and a little maple syrup.
This would be a perfect dish to take to a breakfast potluck. And it’s just as delicious leftover.
Substitute any fruit you like-I’ll make it again with blueberries for sure!
Peaches and Cream French Toast
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Number of servings: 8
Per Serving 616 calories
Fat 20 g
Carbs 88 g
Protein 20 g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 16
*Nutritional value may vary depending upon which ingredients are used.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Famished Fish and in no way endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*Cut some calories and points by making this into 16 smaller portions and serve with some black coffee.
- 16 slices stale whole wheat bread
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 Tb butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 cup canned peaches, drained
- 2 Tb peach schnapps
- 2 Tb whiskey
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For the French Toast
For the Glaze
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in a 2 quart casserole dish and swirl to coat pan. Pour remaining butter in small bowl. Whisk in eggs, milks and spices.
- Arrange a single layer of bread slices on the bottom of the casserole.
- Spread half the can of sliced peaches on top, slicing thinner pieces to cover bread.
- Repeat layers, ending in a third bread layer. Press breads down and fold ends user if needed.
- Pour egg and milk mixture over the bread. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, removing lid 10 minutes before end of bake time.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Whisk glaze ingredients lightly and drizzle over French toast.
What is your favorite French toast topping?
You may also enjoy Sun-Dried Tomato French Toast Sandwich with Mozzarella, Egg and Basils