Some pasta dishes drive me crazy. I mean, I look at the picture of the recipe and my mouth waters, and then I see all the prep work, all the cook work, all the yada yada. But when I just get off work and finish helping the kids with homework, I really don’t want to spend all night in the kitchen. Chicken Parmesan is one of those pasta dishes that just looks so delicious, but I know I won’t spend forever making it. At least not with this simple version.
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour mixed with 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 cup natural whole wheat bread crumbs mixed with 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 egg blended with 1 Tb water
2 Tb canola oil
1-12 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
8 oz low moisture part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
The Simplest Chicken Parmesan
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 6
Per Serving 523 calories
Fat 22 g
Carbs 45 g
Protein 36 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 19
*Nutrition information can vary slightly depending upon brand ingredients used.
*Points Plus calculated by Famished Fish; not endorsed by Weight Watchers.
- 8 oz uncooked spaghetti noodles, use whole wheat or Barilla Plus if you'd like
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour mixed with 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup natural whole wheat bread crumbs mixed with 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg blended with 1 Tb water
- 2 Tb canola oil
- 1-12 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 8 oz low moisture part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large pot bring 6-8 cups water to a boil. Add spaghetti noodles and a dash of salt when water has come to a boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes until just al dente, stirring occasionally so pasta does not stick together. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile pound out chicken breasts to about 1/2" thick with a meat mallet. Arrange the flour mixture, egg mixture and bread crumb mixture in three platters or pie plates.
- Cut chicken into 6 portions. Dip each piece first in flour mixture, then egg mixture, and finally in breadcrumb mixture, coating well and evenly.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Lightly brown each chicken breast piece for about 5 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Place drained pasta in a casserole sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Arrange chicken breasts on top of pasta. Combine canned diced tomatoes and spaghetti sauce and pour over chicken and pasta. Sprinkle cheeses on top of sauce and cover.
- Place in casserole oven and bake for 15 minutes until bubbly. Remove lid and bake for 5 minutes more.