Breakfast is hands down my favorite meal of the day. I really like that I can choose to make something sugary sweet and belly rich, or something savory and satisfying that could easily be brunch.
Mini Quinoa Quiches are just that savory bit of satisfying. They are full of vitamin rich veggies, fiber and protein full quinoa, tangy and creamy feta cheese, and iron rich eggs and egg whites. Simple as that. These mini quiches take about 5 minutes to put together and within 30 minutes, you have a healthy and filling breakfast, or even snack if you eat just one.
So here’s the basics.
Preheat your oven to 350F.
Chop up any veggie you love and make two cups of it. I used onions, bell peppers, zucchinis, and mushrooms. Mix these with some cooked quinoa in a big bowl. (Check out how to make Quinoa here with Chocolate Covered Katie.)
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites and add in the salt and pepper, hot sauce and feta cheese.
Pour the egg mixture over the quinoa and vegetable mixture and stir to combine.
Line a muffin pan with 8 muffin liners. Spray each one with cooking spray and portion the mixture into the liners.
Carefully remove them from the oven and
transfer to serving plate. No need to check if they are done-they will be.
Oh, and did I mention these freeze well? I take them to work and reheat in the toaster oven.
Recipe adapted from Slender Kitchen.
Mini Quinoa Quiches
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Number of servings: 4
Per Serving 194 calories
Fat 8 g
Carbs 15 g
Protein 16 g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 4
*Nutritional value may vary depending upon which ingredients are used.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Famished Fish and in no way endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 cup fat free feta cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 4 sprays cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook the quinoa as directed on the package, using one measured cup of cooked quinoa for the recipe.
- Chop veggies.
- Mix these with the cooked quinoa in a big bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites and add in the salt and pepper, hot sauce and feta cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the quinoa and vegetable mixture and stir to combine.
- Line a muffin pan with 8 muffin liners. Spray each muffin liner with cooking spray and portion the mixture into the liners.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven to platter to cool.
What’s your favorite savory breakfast treat?
You may also enjoy Non-Tapioca, Non-Dairy Vanilla Pudding Parfait