Fried vegetables–um, yea, they’re healthy.
I went on a lunch date with a really cool chic years ago. We went to Mimi’s Cafe and fell in love with a specific item on the menu that we ordered-deep fried panko crusted artichoke hearts. Those artichoke hearts were served with a delicious tangy mayo dipping sauce.
1 can artichoke heart quarters, drained
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour mixed with 1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 egg beaten with 1 Tb water
1 cup natural whole wheat bread crumbs mixed with 1 tsp Italian seasoning
Canola oil for frying
1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup mayonnaise made with olive oil
1 tsp tarragon
For the Tarragon Dipping Sauce, whisk together all the ingredients and serve.For a vegan version, use an egg substitute and serve with a warm marinara sauce.
Serves 4-6. Prep 15 min. Cook 10 min.
An Oxymoron Called Delicious
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Number of servings: 6
Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 12
*Nutritional may vary depending upon which ingredients are used.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Famished Fish and in no way endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
- 1 can artichoke heart quarters, drained
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour mixed with 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg beaten with 1 Tb water
- 1 cup natural whole wheat bread crumbs mixed with 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Canola oil for frying
- 2Tb Parmesan cheese for garnish
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise made with olive oil
- 1 tsp tarragon
- Juice of 1 lime
For the Artichoke Hearts
For the Tarragon Dipping Sauce
- Arrange flour mixture, egg mixture and bread crumb mixture on three platters or pie plates.
- Dip artichoke pieces individually first in flour, then egg mixture and finally bread crumb mixture, coating well and evenly with each mixture. Use one hand for the dry mixtures and one hand for the egg mixture to avoid “gooey fingers”.
- Heat canola oil about 1 inch deep in a pan over medium high heat. You know the oil is ready when you drop a bit of bread crumbs in and it sizzles.
- Fry the artichokes a few at a time until they are golden, flipping them to fry evenly.
- Remove artichokes with a slotted spoon or tongs to a paper bag lined plate to drain. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve with Tarragon Dipping Sauce.
- For the Tarragon Dipping Sauce, whisk together all the ingredients and serve.
BBQ Meatballs with Broccoli Cheddar Rice and Spinach